Trevor Bell was born in Leeds in 1930 and attended the local college of art. In his twenties, working in West Cornwall, he made his reputation as a leading member of the younger generation of St. Ives artists who established British art on the world stage. Following his enormously successful first one-man exhibition at the Waddington Galleries in London in 1958, Trevor Bell was awarded the Paris Biennale International Painting Prize and an Italian Government Scholarship. He later became a Gregory Fellow in painting at Leeds University. After a larger travelling retrospective in Scotland, Ireland and England in 1970 and a major one-man show at the Whitechapel Gallery in London in 1973, Trevor was invited to become Professor for Master (Graduate) Painting at the Florida State University in Tallahassee. There he developed the large-scale, intensely coloured paintings for which he is best known.